CHIA & ZERESHK BREAKFAST CAKES
Makes 6 mini cakes
Prep & bake time: ~40 minutes
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup castor sugar
cup butter, melted
¼ cup nut oil
1 cup yoghurt
¼ cup zereshk
2 tbsp chia seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk the sugar, butter, and oil together. Add one egg at a time, and mix well.
3. Add the yoghurt, zereshk and chia seeds, and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture, but be careful not to over mix.
4. Line the mini cake or muffin tray with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a muffin. Serve up and eat warm.
QUICK MUSHROOM & LEEK SOUP WITH A DOLLOP OF LABNEH
Prep & cook time: 20 minutes
2 large leeks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
500g of mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cups vegetable stock
¼ cup of labneh
1 tbsp sumac
2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat some vegetable oil and cook the leeks until they soften for about two minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook a little more before adding the mushrooms and sauté them together for a minute or so.
2. Pour in the hot stock, cover and let it simmer for no more than 15 minutes.
3. Using a hand blender, purée the soup until smooth. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper to taste, stir and cook through.
4. Serve with chopped chives, a spoonful of labneh and a sprinkle of sumac.
RUMP STEAK & CAULIFLOWER MASH WITH CORIANDER PARSLEY CHIMICHURRI
Prep & cook time: 30 minutes
3 large cauliflower heads
Pinch of saffron
Melted knob of butter
1 bunch fresh coriander
1 bunch fresh parsley
2 green onions
2 garlic cloves
½ red chili (optional)
About cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
½ tsp salt
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Place the saffron threads in a little warm water. Mash the cauliflower until smooth, add the butter, saffron and season to taste. Keep warm.
3. Make the chimichurri by placing the herbs, spring onions, garlic, chili, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste.
4. Heat a knob of butter in a hot frying pan, season the rump steaks with a generous amount of salt and pepper then fry for about a minute on each side or more depending on thickness and preference.
5. Serve the steaks with the cauliflower mash, and a drizzle of chimichurri. Delish!