ORIENTAL RICE PUDDING
Prep & cook time: 40 minutes
¼ cup shelled pistachios
¼ cup almonds
1 cup Egyptian rice
4 cups full fat milk (or more depending on desired consistency)
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tsp orange blossom
½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
Pomegranates & edible flowers to decorate (optional)
1. Place the pistachios and almonds in cold water and let them soak.
2. Prepare the rice as instructed on the packet, but add an extra cup of water and cook for 10 minutes longer.
3. When the rice is almost ready prepare the milk. In a pot, bring the milk, sugar and orange blossom and cinnamon if using, to a boil.
4. Add the cooked rice with the excess water, if there is any, bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the rice pudding forms the desired consistency, about 15 minutes or so. The rice will be falling apart a little.
5. In the meantime remove the nuts from the water and peel the outer skin and pat dry.
6. Place the rice pudding in bowl, top with the pistachios and almonds. For a twist, decorate with pomegranates and edible flowers.
KIBBEH BIL SANIEH:
BEEF & LAMB PIE
Prep & cook time: ~1hr 15mins
4 large onions, finely chopped
300g minced lean lamb
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp all spice
2 tsp sumac
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
300g minced lean beef
Extra sumac to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. In a small bowl, let the bulgur soak for about 30 minutes, drain and then set aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a large pan, and fry half the onions until translucent, then add the minced lamb, and half the spices mentioned. Add the pine nuts and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, until the lamb is cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the minced beef with the remaining onion and spices, then add the bulgur and mix well with your hands. Once mixed, place the meat mixture in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
4. Add half the minced meat mixture to the bottom of a non-stick baking tray. Press it down firmly and spread evenly.
5. Add the cooked lamb filling, then top with the remaining meat mixture. Press it down with your hands, smoothing out the surface.
6. Bake the kibbeh in the preheated oven for around 20-25 minutes.
7. Serve the kibbeh with a dollop of yoghurt and a little salad. Sahteen!
QUICK CABBAGE SALAD
Serves 4-6 (recommended side dish)
Prep & cook time: 10 minutes
1 large red cabbage
cup lemon juice
cup olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced or pounded
½ tsp dried mint
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, cut the cabbage into very thin slices.
2. Make the dressing by whisking the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and dried mint with salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the dressing and let it stand for 10 minutes until the cabbage softens. Decorate with fresh mint and serve.