Armani Beauty has created several ground-breaking, game-changing products over the years. To celebrate the brand’s 15th anniversary Bazaar has delved into the archives and spoken to make-up artist extraordinaire Linda Cantello to reveal some lesser known facts…
- The iconic Luminous Silk Foundation launched the brand 15 years ago and impressively, its formula remains unchanged.
- The lip shade #400 is Linda Cantello’s perfect ‘red carpet red’. It is a number one selling shade and exists in five different textures. “It is not just about finding your perfect shade, it is about finding the perfect texture,” says Cantello.
- Mr Armani is very much involved in every aspect of the beauty line. From the formulas to the packaging, everything has to be approved by him personally.
- Only Giorgio Armani beauty is ever used backstage at Armani shows.
- Lip Maestro was born backstage at one of the fashion shows: “Mr. Armani asked me for a beautiful purple lipstick for a fashion show and I had a tiny amount of pigments that I mixed up. When we used the Face Fabric foundation formula and pure pigments to mix up another lipstick shade we realised that this could be the perfect base for the Lip Maestro,” explains Cantello.
- Eye & Brow Maestro is the ultimate multi-tasking product and can be used on brows, as an eyeliner and an eyeshadow. However, it can also be used to sculpt the face and contour, or even to touch up the hair around the hairline.
- Maestro Fusion Foundation was eight years in the making. “We were looking for an anti-ageing formula for foundation and I remembered this cult product for older women in Texas comprised of oil and pigment in a split formula. We asked the labs to look into oils, which at that time were a real “no-no” in terms of foundation, and they came up with maestro, a radically new category for skin perfectors,” explains Cantello.
- Rouge Ecstasy lipstick comes in a huge 32 shades to offer something for every woman.
- Armani Beauty foundations are inspired by fabric from Mr Armani’s collections. Luminous Silk – silk, Maestro – velvet, Face Fabric – chiffon.
- Such was the popularity of the limited-edition Maestro Mediterranea Fusion Blush two years ago, it has since become permanent. The lightweight, fool-proof formula has made liquid blusher a favourite among make-up artists due to its buildability and versatility.
- At each fashion show there is the Armani Runaway Lab, where new shades and textures are created to work with the collection. Formulas are mixed the night before the show, taken straight to the labs and then made available to buy six months later, at the same time as the corresponding fashion collection.
- All Armani Beauty face designers, aka beauty advisers, are trained make-up artists.
- In 2000, Armani scientists changed the landscape for foundation by creating micro-fill technology. The lightweight yet full coverage finish offered by Luminous Silk Foundation signaled a new era for make-up.
- To mark 15 years of Armani Beauty, Cantello has created 15 tutorial videos.
- The label's spring/summer 2015 fashion show was the first time Cantello used blush on the models, ever.
Via Harper's Bazaar UK