DARK CHOCOLATE BAKLAVA
Prep & cook time: 1h 20mins
100g toasted pine nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
200g dark chocolate (70%), melted
cup melted butter
12 phyllo sheets, thawed
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp rose water
juice of one lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and, in a food processor, pulse the nuts until they are finely chopped.
2. Add the cinnamon and chocolate and pulse one more time until combined.
3. Butter the bottom of a baking tray with melted butter, and place four phyllo sheets on top.
4. Add of the nut mixture and press the mixture slightly into the dough.
5. Add another two sheets of phyllo and repeat the step, adding the remaining nut mixture but reserving a handful for sprinkling later.
6. Top with six sheets of phyllo and butter them again, sprinkling half the remaining nuts on top. Then bake in the oven for 1 hour or until golden brown.
7. In the meantime, make the syrup. In a pot, bring the water, sugar, honey, rose water and lemon juice to a boil. Let it simmer for a few minutes, then let it cool.
8. Once the baklava is baked, remove it from the oven, and pour the syrup on top while still hot. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts, let it cool and serve. Decadent!
Prep & cook time: 2h 15 minutes (includes 2hrs refrigeration)
4 cups of milk
½ cup quick cooking oats
3-4 tbsp fine white sugar
2 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp corn starch
¼ cup crushed pistachios
2 tbsp pomegranates
Pinch of salt
1. Whisk the cornstarch with a little water, then add it to the milk and bring everything to a boil in a small pot.
2. Add the sugar, salt and rose water then simmer for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens and resembles the consistency of laban (drinking yoghurt).
3. Pour into ramekins and refrigerate for at least two hours. Once cooled, sprinkle with crushed pistachios and pomegranates. Sahteen!
SAFFRON GRAIBEH COOKIE
Prep & cook time: ~2hrs
2 cups flour
1 ½ cup icing sugar
1 cup clarified butter or melted butter
½ tsp saffron in a little water
¼ cup pistachios
1. In a medium bowl sift the flour and icing sugar, then pour in the melted butter and saffron, and whisk. Once it clumps use your hands to form a dough soft to the touch but not too greasy.
2. Add a little more butter or flour to obtain the right consistency. Using your hands, form little balls of about 3.5cm in diameter.
3. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and top each one with a pistachio, gently pressing it into the dough. Place the cookies in the freezer for an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 120c and bake them for 35-40 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely before serving. Enjoy!