Previous Harper's Bazaar cover star Huda Kattan turns 35 today! To celebrate her birthday and the beauty empire she's built with Huda Beauty (AKA #CareerGoals), we've rounded up 14 of her most inspiring quotes to help keep you motivated. Be your best businesswoman today and everyday, and make Huda proud!
1. “When I started my business, people thought it was just a hobby and I wanted people to take me seriously.”
2. “It feels really powerful to be able to embrace being a woman in the Middle East who’s not afraid to go into a boardroom and tell a room of men how it is.”
3.“I feel really ill, but as long as I have the energy to stand, I’m not going to let my team down.”
4. “Our brand started as a blog. It was really challenging at the beginning because when you start a brand all you have is a belief and passion and passion for something - you don’t actually know if that ‘something’ will materialise into anything.”
5. “People assume if you need a specific product for something, it’s already out there, instead of creating something yourself from the ground up. If you have a great idea and don’t try and create something from it then I really believe you’re doing the world a disservice. If it fails, what’s the worst that can happen? You might have wasted a little time but you’re going to learn a lot.”
6. "We started our business with no funding, or had any outside investors. Our sister was our first investor! There was a year where I didn’t take salary, because we needed to pay our employees."
7. "Am I comfortable talking about fillers and going under the knife? Yeah. I've gone under the knife, so what? People can judge me, I'm comfortable with it"
8. “When I first started the business I felt a lot of frustration. Being a women in this region was challenging. People were treating us like our brand was just hobby. One of my favourite pieces of advice I’ve been given is just to be patient. There’s an Arabic phrase that means ‘with every delay there is a blessing’ – words to live by!”
9. “I don’t think about them [set-backs] too much. I don’t care about the problems, my immediate thought is always ‘What’s the solution?’ There are always going to be problems along the way but you can’t let them consume you. We’ve had tons of problems along the way - we have them all the time. But in the long run you come to think, well maybe these things were actually good for you, and you just didn’t see it like that at the time.”
10. “I love to surround myself with strong, opinionated personalities. I like to hear people’s opinion in the team, but I definitely have the final say. Sometimes I drive people crazy when I say things and they say, ‘Oh we changed our mind and did it this way’ and I’ll be like, ‘But I made that decision for a reason’. When I feel like I know exactly what I want, then my mind is made up.”
11. "If I do something I'm not passionate about, how am I going to impact the world? And if I am not changing the world in some way then what the hell am I doing?"
12. "Why can't I be a boss, why can't I be a killer mom and still be pretty?"
13. “I find inspiration in people everywhere. There are some make-up artists that have done so much and are so inspirational that you learn really amazing tips from them. But for me it’s important that you have people to look up to who aren’t in your industry. I’ve always loved Steve Jobs - he was an innovator. I also love Oprah, Beyonce and Rihanna – they broke the stereotype.”
14. "Whenever you are pushing boundaries, there will be push-back from people. Embrace what you stand for, and accept that there will be criticism."
15. "Every day I do what I call my ‘morning manifestations’ with my sister Mona, where we say 10 things we’re grateful for – everything from our family, our team and company, and our health. It’s actually been proven that the practice of gratitude every day can make you happier and improve your self-esteem."
View this post on Instagram
It’s officially October and my birthday is tomorrow!! I used to hate my bday and never want to celebrate! I don’t have the best memories as a child on my bday, but I am rewriting what it means to celebrate me, starting with my bday! Please make sure you guys celebrate your special day and never feel like it’s silly to make a fuss over yourself! I love you guys so much thank you for the birthday wishes
16. "I ALWAYS go with my gut, and I use that feeling as much as possible; you just have to trust your instincts and the way you feel. I truly believe it’s your subconscious speaking to you, it’s helped me make some of the best decisions of my life."
17. "Self-love is so simple, yet SO impactful. Without trying to sound too preachy, go and take a look in the mirror and remind yourself; you’re powerful, you’re strong, and you’re beautiful."
18. "Remember, words are powerful and can have a profound effect, which is why it’s so important to be your own cheerleader, and let your words lift you up!"