If you’ve been a little lacklustre in your attempts to keep in shape for a few months, fear not. Niko Algieri, co-owner and director Equilibrium details five quick exercises that will create the illusion of a great body, while you continue to tone your figure with a consistent workout. In the mean time, adopt these quick-fix fitness shortcuts...
1. Lateral Raise: Grab a couple of dumbbells depending on your strength. Hold them by your side with a slight bend in elbows and simply raise them out to side and then lower slowly. Perform 4 sets of 15 Reps and if you’re at home, then use water bottles as a substitute for weights.
2. Squats: A simple air squat will tone your legs up to a decent standard within a couple of weeks and give them the form they’ve been missing lately. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart with a slight outturn of the feet. Whilst raising your arms out in front of you and keeping the weight in your heels, spread your knees and bend them at the same time lowering your hips to below knee level then stand back up. Perform 4 sets of 20 reps.
3. Glute Bridge: Possibly the most underrated exercise at the moment but perfect for creating shape in the hamstrings and glutes. Lie on your back on the floor and bend your knees at 90 degrees keeping your feet flat to the floor. Keeping your arms by your side and lift your backside up until your hips become level with your knees and hips then lower back to the floor. Make sure you’re squeezing your glutes all the through the movement. Perform 4 sets of 20 reps.
4. Plank to Side Plank combo: Get into a plank position with your knees off the floor and legs straight (elbows for beginner and straight arms for advanced). Hold this for as close to 20 seconds as possible then without lowering your knees transfer to a side plank. Hold this for 20s and then transfer to the other side. You can choose to rest at this point but if you really want to tighten the waist then go through the full 3mins without touching the floor once.
5. Work your arms: The final piece of this puzzle is your arms. You’re going to work agonist and antagonist muscles. Use the dumbbells you used earlier, a resistance band or heavy water bottles as weights. Perform a standing bicep curl (both arms at the same time) for 15-20 reps. Immediately tip forward from the hips with a slight knee bend. Lift your arms behind you, higher than your backside, then flex at the at the elbow lowering the weight but leaving the upper arm where it is and then you straighten your arm hitting the triceps. Make this a quick workout so perform 15-20 reps back-to-back for 4 sets.