Sweet Potato Filo Tartelettes
Makes: 1 tart or 6 mini tarts
Prep & bake time: ~1 hour
3 sweet potatoes
60g brown sugar
100ml melted butter (and extra to brush pastry)
1 tsp all spice
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cocoa powder
6 sheets thawed filo pastry
Serve with whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and bake for 45 minutes or until soft when poked with a fork.
- Once ready, peel the potatoes and place them in a food processor. Add the butter, spices and cocoa and blend until creamy. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce the oven to 180c and place the filo sheets in a tart pan. Brush the tart generously with butter, then bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Fill the tart with the sweet potato filling, top with your choice of berry and place in the fridge until serving. Delicious!
Banana Walnut Crumble Muffins
Makes: ~12 muffins
Prep & bake time: 30 minutes
100g soft butter
100g white sugar (add more if you like it sweet)
100g nut oil
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
For the crumble:
50g soft butter
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180c. In a bowl, whisk the butter and sugar.
- Add the oil and eggs, mix and combine with the mashed bananas and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour with pepper, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add half the flour mix to the batter, then add the yogurt and finish with the remaining flour. Combine well but do not over mix.
- Make the crumble by combining all the ingredients with a fork or by hand.
- Fill a greased or muffin paper lined muffin tray with the batter, and sprinkle the crumble on top.
- Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Once the muffins are cooled, dust with icing sugar. Enjoy!
Cinnamon & Honey Bundt Cake
Makes: 1 bundt cake
Prep & bake time: 1 ½ hours
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
4 large eggs
Dust with icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 175c. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a whisk or hand mixer. Add the honey and combine well.
- Add one egg at a time, and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Add half the flour, combine, then add the yogurt, mix, and combine the remaining flour without over mixing.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick, greased Bundt cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for approximately one hour or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar and a little cinnamon. Cut into healthy slices and dig in!
Photography: Aasiya Jagadeesh. Dalia wears: sweater, Dhs3,430, J.W. Anderson; skirt, Dhs1,314, Molly Goddard, both at boutique 1. prices approximate.
From the October 2018 Issue of Harper's Bazaar Arabia