Film buffs, rejoice! Netflix is giving us new content to binge-watch during these rather home-bound times.
As a consequence of being confined at home (due to the ongoing pandemic) acclaimed filmmakers from around the world have joined together to contribute to 'Homemade': a collection of short films created that capture personal and moving stories of life during quarantine.
Produced by The Apartment Pictures (a Fremantle company) and Fabula, 'Homemade' is a celebration of the craftsmanship that is filmmaking, and the power of creativity that remains intact, even when faced with a global pandemic. The series will show filmmakers' day-to-day life, filmed using only equipment they had at home, ranging accross multiple genres.
Behind the camera is a diverse and globe-spanning roster of some of the most acclaimed filmmakers of today, including:
- Nadine Labaki & Khaled Mouzanar (Caramel, Capernaum) - short filmed in Beirut (Lebanon)
- Ladj Ly (Les Misérables) - short filmed in Clichy Montfermeil (France)
- Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty, The New Pope) - short filmed in Rome (Italy)
- Rachel Morrison (Black Panther, Mudbound) - short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
- Pablo Larraín (El Club, Jackie) - short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Rungano Nyoni (Kuuntele: I am not a witch) - short filmed in Lisbon (Portugal)
- Natalia Beristáin (She does not want to sleep alone) - short filmed in Mexico City (Mexico)
- Sebastian Schipper (Victoria, Roads) - short filmed in Berlin (Germany)
- Naomi Kawase (True Mothers, Sweet Bean) - short filmed in Nara (Japan)
- David Mackenzie (Hell or High Water, Outlaw King) - short filmed in Glasgow (Scotland)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Kindergarten Teacher / The Honourable Woman) - short filmed in Vermont (USA)
- Antonio Campos (The Devil All The Time) - short filmed in Springs, New York City (USA)
- Johnny Ma (Old Stone; To live to sing) - short filmed in San Sebastián del Oeste, Jalisco (Mexico)
- Kristen Stewart - (Clouds of Sils Maria / Come Swim) short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
- Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham; Blinded by the light) - short filmed in London (UK)
- Sebastián Lelio (Gloria Bell, A Fantastic Woman) - short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; The Bad Batch) - short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
“This question has been tormenting us as parents for a while; How are our children perceiving or living the confinement? What goes on in their minds? When the producers of Homemade contacted us to be part of this project it was the perfect occasion for us to explore this dimension.” said Nadine Labaki and Khaled Mouzanar, filmmakers in Lebanon.
What's more? A donation in honor of each filmmaker will be made from Netflix’s Hardship Fund to non-profit organizations that are providing emergency aid to out-of-work crew and cast throughout the TV and film industry.
The collection will be made available globally on Netflix on June 30, 2020.
Lead image courtesy of Instagram/littleblackbookofinteriors